Reality Shows – A chance to Skin Pieces of information.
Indian reality shows like Sa Re Ga Ma, Indian Idol are building up tremendous fan following and garnering hefty popularity for the channels airing them. The shows are targeted to showcase the hidden talent in the nooks and corner with this vast nation -a nation that is bountifully endowed with gifted people. And these reality shows are merely a platform to cover tribute to the gifted folks of this blessed land. How else can we ever come face to handle with hidden and obscure talent!
Right platform or not, a very important factor is certain that to date there’s no other equally effective alternative scheme that’s been presented before us to hunt and showcase genuine talent. We may not agree with lot that is happening in the name of showcasing talent in these programmes. Plenty of gimmicks are resorted to by the producers of these reality shows that might offend the finer feelings of mind and soul. Not withstanding all that, one is compelled to acknowledge the truth that there’s overall good being done to the society, maybe inadvertently. Lets have a deeper go through the pluses and minuses of the truth shows as platform to showcase one’s talent:-
- The entertainment industry in India has found its moorings in this century. Put simply it has come of age. Television is a vital component of entertainment industry. Television can also be maturing in India.When we have a retrospective view, within the last few century Television was languishing in India airing programmes attached to Indian Cinema only. But with the advent of Reality shows television viewing has brought a completely different dimension. Percentage increase of viewership has brought an exponential jump. With that increase in demand has come the logical increase in supply, building a virtuous cycle. The web result may be the magnetic draw of big time profit television. One must admit there are other genre of shows also which may have contributed generously to the current happy situation, but host to Reality shows in this plot is undeniably there for all to acknowledge.
- With big time money comes professionalism and that brings more competent people to join force. The resultant is bigger, better and slick shows for audience to savour.Bigg boss 6 tamil vote
- Entertainment industry generally and Indian Cinema particularly benefits greatly from such Reality shows. Talent hunt in this geographically vast nation is a tedious and daunting task to express the least. So before Reality shows came into existence music directors took the shortest route and worked with exactly the same group of singers you could count on your little finger. And young singing talent in India went unsung (pun unintended). Few talented youngsters will have such high motivational level regarding leave everything and arrived at Mumbai to exhibit their talent, knowing fully well that they could not manage to fix up an audience with music directors for years. Reality shows have given such talented youngsters a well known platform to showcase their talent and draw attention of music directors of most hues.
- In effect such Reality shows are not only accomplishing the tedious task of ferreting out fresh talent, but additionally helping towards ushering in professionalism thereby enhancing quality in music industry. With high popularity rating comes better sponsorship. With better sponsorship comes bigger money which encourages talented youngsters to take music much less a pastime but as a vocation. That brings higher quality, competitiveness and professionalism. That is just the beginning. There’s enough talent in India to take the entire world by storm. Don’t believe it? Just think on what A R Rahman and Sukhwinder Singh duo has done at the just concluded 81st Academy Awards.
- Popularity of such Reality shows will probably make producers to try out modifications to the successful model. In future we may see Western Music talent being showcased successfully. Then can happen coup d’etat as Indians storm in to the professional Pop and Rock bastion of the West. That will be the last frontier.
Occasionally Reality shows might be accused of being biased in declaring the winners of these events. Or the producers may ignore blatant usage of unfair means by participants to come up trumps. So in the long run the viewers might be left wondering if the winner really was the most effective of the lot. Occasionally you can get emotionally upset to get glaring anomaly in declaration of winner in such shows. Before you lose heart and dump these entertaining programmes permanently, have a dispassionate go through the following facts:-
- Because the result was rigged or unfair doesn’t take an inch away from the wonderful young talent that’s been showcased by these programmes.
- Who a lot more than us Indians know for an undeniable fact that each part of our existence is coloured by unfair practices! There’s unfair means being employed at every step that we take. Does that show that we forsake everything that is unjust and unfair. Don’t we still chug along? Then can we not take such practices in these shows inside our stride. After all we should realise that ultimate winner of these shows may be the Music industry, the entertainment industry combined with the young talent and audience.So what if the producers, sponsors and maybe some cheats also win in the bargain.
- As conscientious audience we are able to voice our displeasure in abandon in several fora, in case we find something unpalatable in selection of winner. That may work wonders with the producers while they rely on us for popularity ratings, which often drives sponsorship. Such Reality shows have been in nascent stage of evolution in India and with audience opinion there’s without doubt that many checks and balances is going to be put set up even as we go along. That may ensure more transparency and better selection process of winners.
The requirement of the hour in India is to set up foundations for professionalism in every activities that we undertake. Professionalism comes through finances which sponsors bring to the table. Talent is in abundance in India, be it music, sports, research, any performing or fine arts. Magic is based on hunting them and showcasing them in proper professional platforms. Reality shows like Sa Re Ga Ma, Indian Idol are doing just that. Keep consitently the ball rolling! Look out for the Indian Entertainment Industry within the next decade!!